Saturday, December 8, 2012

Informing information literacy program planning


Ringwood, Jessica

Islam, R. L., & Murno, L. A. (2006). From perceptions to connections: Informing information
literacy program planning in academic libraries through examination of high school library media center curricula. College and Research Libraries: 67(6), 492-514.

Summary: This article is about college librarian efforts to isolate information literacy skills that students should be taught in high school.  The librarians used a survey to identify which skills students were missing.

Evaluation: I thought this would be helpful because I intend to work at the high school level.  This article helped me to see the problems I will face and some solutions to those problems.  One of the most interesting things I learned from this article is that the ETS (Educational Testing Service makes the Praxis and the GRE exams) created an information literacy exam for high school students; I want to get my hands on a copy of this!  I would love to use it as a pre-assessment for senior classes so we can see what we need to teach before they graduate from high school.  I looked it up on their website and it is called the iSkills Assessment.  http://www.ets.org/tests_products

No comments:

Post a Comment