Friday, November 29, 2013

The Common Core, Aligned Assessments, and the 21st-Cantury Classrooms


Besich, Lauren

Riley, C. (2013). The Common Core, aligned assessments and the 21st-century classroom: Lessons learned from educators. Techniques: Connecting Education & Careers, 88(8), 24-28.  Retrieved from http://libaccess.sjlibrary.org/login?url=http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?direct=true&db=eft&AN=91754658&site=ehost-live

CA- Common Core Assessments

Summary: Callie Riley’s article about Common Core and its aligned assessments (PARCC and SBAC) give students practical opportunities to apply knowledge.  The tests differ from existing ones in that they do not measure students’ abilities to recall information, but on how they work through a problem and show their answer. 
She encourages teachers to create practical experiences for their students, to use open access resources for the assessments to give them directions, and to collaborate with teachers near and far through websites like Creative Commons to share their own, or use Common Core aligned lessons created by other teachers.  If teachers apply these suggestions, teachers will find that Common Core reflects what we want to see happen in the classroom in the 21st century. 

Evaluation: I appreciated Riley’s perspective in this article, as she views Common Core as an opportunity to improve teaching and learning inside classrooms.  Sadly, I quit teaching a year and a half ago when my son was born, so I was only exposed to CCSS a little bit.  In my exploration of them in my SLIS studies, I feel that there are fewer standards, and the language (compared to the language used in the Arizona State Standards) is easier for me to understand.  I like what Riley says about the new assessments focusing not on memory recall, but on problem solving skills, which I believe my student lacked in the past (and likely due to my superficial teaching).   Problem solving skills are the skills we use at work, at home, and in our relationships, so it is natural that those are the skills curriculum standards should strive to build.  I’m looking forward to the day our schools are no longer compartmentalized, but blended learning environments that more closely mirror our lives in society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment