Thursday, September 17, 2015

California Fails to Meet Library Needs for Students

 School Librarians in California Under Siege

School Librarians In California Under Siege

Posted:
Retrieved from:
 http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/02/school-librarians-california_n_1125741.html
CO- Over-coming Barriers

The evidence shared in this article portrays a grim image of the way California School's have dismissed the importance and need for credentialed teacher librarians. The story even accounts for one teacher librarian who was spread between three large schools choosing to quit because her ability to sustain reasonable work was unacceptable to her.
I'm pursuing a California Teacher Librarian Credential, but during this pursuit I continue to ask myself what this means? In my district, there isn't a teacher librarian. I worry that there will never be an intention of hiring a teacher librarian. For me, chasing after a credential that may not serve myself or anyone else is the reality. I'm optimistic that if I continue on this path, California will see better days for school libraries and I will adapt to a role where I can fulfill a need in a functional education system. I want to see a standard of quality in education, and I think there's a need for public education to define what quality means.

2 comments:

  1. Elizabeth- I feel your pain. Teacher library positions are being cut other places as well. In the Missouri school district I reside in, the elementary librarians serve two buildings. When the librarian is not at one building, a para educator teaches the children at that building. This is a savings for the district for sure, but at whose expense. Because of this, I am working on an MLIS, not just the teaching credential so I can get a library job in another area if need be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete