Monday, September 21, 2015

Teaching Tip: The Flipped Classroom


Bailey, Rachel
ET
Mok, H. N. (2014). Teaching tip: The flipped classroom. Journal of Information Systems Education, 25 (1), 7-11

Summary- This article discusses how a college professor implemented the flipped classroom concept in one of his computer science classes. For homework, the students watched programming videos and completed online quizes about the videos. Then, they went to class armed with new information and worked with a partner to solve various coding problems. Overall, the students were positive about the flipped classroom experience.

Evaluation: I had never heard of the term "flipped classroom" before, but after reading this article, I realized that I have seen this technique in action. My last year of teaching, the math teachers in my building used this strategy, by assigning math videos for homework and then having the students tackle math problems in the classroom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment