Monday, October 17, 2016

Common Core and School Librarians: An Interview With Joyce Karon

Frey, Jennifer

CA

Kramer, P. K. (2011). Common Core and School Librarians: An Interview with Joyce Karon. School Library Monthly, 28(1), 8-10.
Summary:
      This interview explains what common core standards are and how they affect education. The person being interviewed, Joyce Karon, is a former school librarian and advocate for school libraries. She answers questions about the common core and simplifies what it means to teachers, students and librarians. She addresses how they are different from other standards and what school librarians need to know about them. The article also mentions the AASL Crosswalk of the Common Core Standards (http://www.ala.org/aasl/standards/crosswalk), I looked up the website and found some really useful information there for school librarians.
Evaluation/Opinion:
       In my reading plan I had decided I wanted to learn more about school standards. I am not a teacher myself or have any background in teaching so I found this article helpful since it simplified this area I wanted to become more familiar with. For someone with little to no prior knowledge who wishes to see how the Common Core Standards also affect school librarians this article is helpful. I liked the interview format, it made it easy to read and broke it up. I also liked how it encourages school librarians to step up to the plate and start collaborating and learn more about the standards and what they can do to help implement them. 


No comments:

Post a Comment